It will come as no surprise to you that we will have to cancel our club runs from Thursday 5th November to Wednesday 2nd December. Although the guidance from England Athletics is not out yet, it would not be appropriate to be meeting in groups to run even if it is allowed in ‘Covid-secure’ environments. The general government guidance on exercise is as follows:-
You can exercise or visit outdoor public places with the people you live with, your support bubble, or 1 person from another household.
The rest of the government guidance can be found here:-
Continuing to run whilst in lockdown
It is harder to motivate yourself to get out running when you haven’t got a group to meet and it’s dark. Here are a few of my tips that might work for you to keep going for this month.
- Set yourself a do-able plan and tick off every run that you manage to do. If you know that you can run for 30 mins on your own, then aim to do that a couple of times a week rather than push yourself to do more than you are comfortable with means you are more likely to do it. Being able to tick the run off the plan is a good positive boost.
- Set up a ‘support’ group via Whatsapp, Messenger etc and tell people what you are going to do. Cheering everyone on to meet their targets is a great way of staying motivated
- Don’t be too hard on yourself – if you don’t want to run, then a brisk walk out in the fresh air will get you moving and if you have your running kit on, you might even find yourself wanting to run some of it.
- Remember – getting out the door is often the hardest part.
- Keep in touch with your running friends and we will be back with the club soon.
Meanwhile, we can still run this Tuesday!
Running Venues for this week.
Jeffers –St Katherine’s car park
Gentle Joggers – Primary School Car Park
Easy Runners – Swimming Pool Car Park
Runners – Homebase Car park
Sprinters – St Katherine’s Car Park
Fast Group – Market House.
When you meet up to run, please remember to maintain a social distance.
We have 2 groups at Gentle Joggers and Easy Runners pace. plus one group at Runners and Sprinters pace
Lead Runners for this week are:-
Sprinters – Sue Kirk – please wear off road shoes and bring a head torch!
Runners – Catherine Every
Easy Runners – Sally Rooke – other leader to be confirmed
Gentle Joggers – Helen Keegan, Tony Saunders
Jeffers – to be confirmed
There is a limit to 5 runners plus a leader for each group with the exception of the Fast group which is 6 runners in total (no leader)
If, after signing up, you find that you can’t run on that night, please remove your name so that others can sign up.
If you could sign up by Monday evening, that will allow our Lead Runners to see who is in their group.
Please read our Risk Assessment and guidelines to Runners which can be found here.
As a reminder the group paces and mileage are:-
Jeffers:- Run/walk group – about 3 miles
Gentle Joggers: 11:00 – 12:00 min miles – about 3-3 ½ miles
Easy Runners: 10:00 – 11:00 min miles – 4 – 4 ½ miles
Runners: 9:00 – 10:00 min miles 4 ½ – 5 miles
Sprinters 8:00 – 9:00 min miles 5 – 6 miles
Fast Group < 8:00 min miles 7- 8 miles
Autumn and the dark nights are here now, so please can you make sure that you start to wear high-viz and/or carry a head/chest torch.
The personal parkruns for Newent and Ross-on-Wye will still be happening so keep an eye on their respective Facebook pages. It’s a good way of getting out on a Saturday morning.
Please keep in touch via our Facebook page whilst we’re not meeting on Tuesday evenings. I always like to hear what you have been up to.
Take care and stay safe.